I had a lovely treat of a great friend over for dinner last night. I made a black bean stew (recipe to come) and wanted something great for dessert. Our CSA box has been loaded with at least 5 apples a week. However, for some reason when I put fruit in the crisper I always forget to eat it. To be honest, as a mom I forget to eat anything throughout the day as it is! So I figured a baked apple dish would not only be a wonderful way to use a couple apples but also be the perfect treat for the evening!
I really hate baked apple dishes normally because the apples are too crunchy. I am not a huge fan of crunchy in a pie, unless it’s a nut! I told my husband if someone could make me an applesauce pie, I’d be all about that. So I thought to myself, the way to make sure the apples cook thoroughly would be to slice them very VERY thin!
Making our Vegan Apple Cobbler Goodness
5 Organic Apples Sliced VERY Thin
2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
3 Tbsp Agave (Or Maple Syrup)
1/3 Cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Pinch Salt
3 Tbsp Coconut Oil (some for greasing pan)
Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Grease your pie dish (or round cake pan)
1. In a bowl toss apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1 tbsp of agave.
2. Pour mixture into dish, spread evenly, and bake for 10 minutes.
3. While apples are baking mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. It will be chunky.
4. Remove apples from the oven after 10 minutes andspread the topping mixture over the apples.
5. Place back in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Our guest and my husband agreed this would be amazing with ice cream on top! Pick your favorite vegan ice cream and enjoy HOT!